5 Back To School Driving Tips All Drivers Need To Review
September is here, and the kids are headed back to school – With that comes busier roads. Just in time for back to school season, let us “school” you on some of the driving tips you should keep in mind this fall:
- Keep an eye out for school buses. It’s not just about safety, but it’s also the law. You are required to yield for school buses when they are loading, and unloading. If there is a bus in front of you, make sure you are paying attention to their signals so that you don’t get yourself in trouble, or create a potentially dangerous situation for the kids on the bus.
- Watch those crosswalks. Crossing guards will be back out on the streets helping kids who walk to get to and from school safely. But you should also be more vigilant about children on the roads, period, especially when you are in a school zone. Kids are known to run out on the roads, and the excitement of back to school, and seeing their friends may mean that they are not paying enough attention to their surroundings.
- Slow down. Especially in a school zone! Remember that your speeding fine will most likely be doubled if you are caught speeding in a school zone. And, police tend to be far more vigilant in school zones during back to school season.
- Allow yourself extra time. Between school buses, parents taking their kids to school, and older students driving themselves to school, traffic always increases during rush hour in September. Instead of speeding in order to get to where you need to be on time, be aware of the fact that traffic will increase at this time of year, and make sure that you allow yourself extra time to get to and from your destination on time. This will also lead to less stress for you, so you can enjoy your commute a little more!
- Eliminate distractions. Since children can be unpredictable, you need to eliminate distractions while driving. Put your phone down and keep your eyes on the road at all times.
With some pre-planning, and extra precautions, everyone can have a safe commute during back to school season. We here at Gem Limo wish everyone a safe and happy school year!
Comments are closed.